Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Springs and Shocks??

  1. #1
    Inactive Member shoemanfoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 18th, 1999
    Posts
    91
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Get a set of Tein NA coilovers. I picked up a set last month and they made a dramatic improvement of my eibach springs and stock shocks. Plus they are height and dampening adjustable. Down in the summer and up in the winter. Stiffer on the street, harder on the track. I think that a couple of other people on this board have them as well. You can pick them up from Zen-Motorsports for about $950 for the set.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member lundgren's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 1999
    Posts
    1,436
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I disagree with shoemanfoo. The Teins are really nice, but $950 JUST FOR ADJUSTABLE SPRINGS! Not me. This doesn't even include the lower control arms you need, the new ABS mounting and don't forget shocks. You could easily spend 1300-1400 for the whole setup. Hum. Worth it?

    I suggest the H&R OE Sports, which is just under a 1 inch drop. Anything over 1 inch you also need a camber kit.

    Then I'd match it with the Bilstein shocks. The Bilstein shocks for a <1 inch drop will out perform any hydrolic adjustable. A monotube gas shock is simply better. You don't see them a lot because most import fans insist on lowering the car beyond it's limits, and hydrolic adjustables are required. Actually real race cars are made with custom bilsteins for the ride height they want... again Bilstein.

    So the H&R OE Sports + the Bilsteins will set you back under 500 for the whole thing. $500 vs $1400. That leaves you $900 dollars, with a car that will perform nearly as well, at least as good if not better on the street. Now take that extra $900 dollars and get a swaybar, tie bars, and some new tires.

    My 2 cents.

    My shocks and springs go in this weekend. If you want to wait until I do them, I'd be glad to tell you how it feels. I also autocross the car, and plan on going to nationals and run STM.... yes on the OE Sports with the Bilstiens.

    ------------------
    http://www.netbsi-kc.com/integra/
    http://www.netbsi-kc.com/aa/
    http://www.groupbuycenter.com/

  3. #3
    Inactive Member LEON's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2000
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks both..........I think $500 is more in my budget. That is all I want, a little drop to improve handling, but not scrape my ass or wheel wells. I don't need the adjustablility, all that will do is confuse me more, and anyways, for my case I would adjust them once then be done with it, so it's kind of a waste for me. I want a good street combination for the best price but not kill my ride or tires (If I don't have to add a camber kit then all the better). Lundgren please let me know how the install goes and what your opinion is on the set up!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Lundgren: Two questions:

    1) Are those Bilstein shocks adjustable?

    2) How much stiffer are the H&R springs than stock?

    Sometime this year I will be doing this stuff as well and I will be looking for <1" drop and stiffer than stock but not full racing stiff (I like my kidneys the way they are!). Also an adjustable shock.

    Thanks



    ------------------
    Greg Holden
    96 GSR, JSRC, Walbro regular pressure pump, AEM cai,
    RSR headers, Greddy PE, Brembo Cross-Drill rotors,
    DC Sports Rear Strut Tower Brace (junk!), Yoko AVSi

    Greg Holden's JRSC Install Site

  5. #5
    Inactive Member ricardol's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 1999
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I suggest that you consider what application you want to change your suspension setup for..

    I orignally upgraded my suspension to Eibach/Koni (yellow) which is a good upgrade and a good compromise between streetability (1.5" drop), and trackability (shocks are adjustable)..

    but now i find myself wanting a much stiffer ride for the track, i want to car to feel like its on rails.. but lets face it, the progressive springs will never do that at the track..

    .. So if you want a track car, go with a custom setup (preferably a coilover kit, so you can adjust the height to meet your needs), custom spring weights, and some shocks (GAB, Koni) ..

    .. if you want something to look nice and ride better thatn stock, then progressive springs + shocks will do the trick (koni's or tokicos?)

    -- ricardo

  6. #6
    Inactive Member LEON's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2000
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Holden: Lundgren has some good info on his web page about the shocks and springs including the stiffness.

    Lundgren: Do you know of any web sites that quote spring rates for other springs besides the HR. Most places don't have this info, even when I call alot of vendors can not tell me.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member lundgren's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 1999
    Posts
    1,436
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've posted as much as I know about spring rates on my site.

    The Bilsteins are not adjustable in the sense you cannot change their stiffness or height. But the valves are self adjusting so that it will adjust to any spring rate that is within reason.

    The OE Sports are about, and it's on my site, 80% stiffer.

    If somebody wanted an all-out BEST for the track, then I would get ground control coilovers, with custom valved Bilstein shocks. I would do this, but hey, I like saving the money.

    ------------------
    http://www.netbsi-kc.com/integra/
    http://www.netbsi-kc.com/aa/
    http://www.groupbuycenter.com/

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner VTeCno Geek's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 1999
    Posts
    266
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Lundgren and I are doing the same setup to our cars this weekend. I did alot of the original research, talked to SCCA guys, and figured out which shocks and springs to run. We both compared notes, and decided that this combo should be the best. The biggest thing to figur on adjustable shocks is how well the car's turn-in is. If you like the way it handles, go with Bilstein's, and screw the adjustable hydraulics. If you need to tune in more rear-end motion, and you already have swaybar and have picked out the springs you want, and adjustable shock might give you a little more play, but I have no problem getting the back end around when I want it. Especially with increasing the spring rate in the rear substantially more than in the front (with the H&R's), the backend should do what I want with only minmal adjustment via tire pressure needed. If you want to go lower, then some coil-overs may be the key, but a big thing for racing is regular, predictable handling, and unless you leave the suspension at one height, you will not have that. The guys I konw who use coil-over's for racing use it in conjunction with corner weights to help balance the car. But they don't run them one height for street and then try to adjust them again for racing, there are to many complications with that approach. If your goal is to have a streetable racer, look at a 1" drop, and some gas monotube shocks.

    ------------------
    I am making $150-200 a month, just for surfing the net!!!

    Find out how you can do the same at VTeCno's Get Paid to Surf Site!


  9. #9
    Inactive Member BLWN GSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2000
    Posts
    165
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation

    i can get the springs really cheap...new ...just give me the exact application....if you don't live in california...no sales tax either....

  10. #10
    Inactive Member lundgren's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 1999
    Posts
    1,436
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    VTeCno Geek, your my hero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •